Veterinary Specialty Hospital (VSH) is looking full-time Hospital Service Manager
About Veterinary Specialty Hospital: At VSH our mission is to advance the veterinary profession through our leadership in medicine, education, business and promotion of the human-animal bond. We strive to bring together caring, warm and intelligent people who love to serve and help and are among the best in their field.
The Hospital Service Manager (HSM) is accountable for all facets of daily operations of assigned disciplines and/or departments with an emphasis on creating the optimal client experience. Areas of responsibilities encompass operational planning, creating an optimal client experience, training and development of staff, scheduling, interviewing, hiring, and corrective actions of assigned staff, safety and security of staff, clients and patients, and the review, evaluation and of assigned disciplines and/or departments.
This position is 100% administrative and is exempt.
- Ensure compliance and accountability for all standard hospital operating procedures and compliance with local, state, and federal regulations
- Engage in real-time resource allocation to develop staff schedules (clinical and non-clinical) to assure maximum productivity and service while managing labor against budget.
- Work in collaboration with the hospital medical director to ensure effective deployment of medical services within the department(s).
- Regularly assess the efficient and effective flow of clients and pets through/in the department while also ensuring proper care from arrival through discharge and follow-up.
- Evaluate the needs for the department and recommend appropriate resources to meet those needs (equipment, staffing, etc.).
- Ensure all department work areas are clean, attractive, functional, safe (OSHA compliant) and hospitable for staff, patients and clients.
- Ensure all equipment is appropriate and in good working order and receives regular required maintenance.
- Participate in evaluating financial and benchmarking information/measurements to ensure best management of the department(s) and achievement of business goals.
- Participate in the budget process and manage department expenses.
- Work in collaboration with corporate teams in finance, human resources, marketing, supply management, and business development to ensure the department’s goals are met.
- Develop and build teams. Encourage and build mutual trust, respect and cooperation among team members, incorporating the company’s vision, mission and core values.
- Initiate recruitment with Talent Acquisition/People and Organization of approved requisitions. Participate in the recruitment, interview and hiring for all open staff positions and doctors (in collaboration with the Medical Director).
- Set production and performance standards and follow-up through monitoring, assessing, reviewing and evaluating employee performance (non-clinical performance) based on established standards.
- In collaboration with the Medical Director, schedule and participate in timely doctor performance reviews.
- Ensure appropriate training for all staff including an exceptional understanding and delivery of customer service and hospitality.
- Work in collaboration with the Hospital Director to facilitate change management in the hospital.
- Serve as mentor and coach for any/all staff requiring development and assistance in non-clinical matters (supervising, relationships, etc.).
- Resolve/approve any payroll matters through supervisors or directly, as needed.
- Report Workers’ Comp claims promptly.
- Supervise support staff personnel and participate in performance reviews and disciplinary actions
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required
- 3 or more years of experience in field of expertise
- Veterinary industry experience preferred
- 2 or more years in a supervisory role required
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and commitment to develop long-term relationships with colleagues, clients, and community is required.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are required, and the ability to deliver exceptional client service is expected.
Benefits of Working at VSH:
- Compensation is based on experience and skill level.
- Full-time benefits include pet insurance, health, dental, vision, disability and life insurances, flex-spending accounts, 401(k), Employee Assistance Program, paid time off, uniforms, and a generous CE allowance.