Port City Veterinary Referral Hospital is looking for a full-time Veterinary Assistant to join our Emergency and Critical Care team, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
About Us: Port City’s mission is to advance the veterinary profession through our leadership in medicine, education, business and promotion of the human-animal bond. We strive to bring together caring, warm and intelligent people who love to serve and help and are among the best in their field.
This position is a precursor to the Veterinary Technician level. The primary responsibility is to provide support and assistance to the veterinary medical staff. Embodies the corporate culture in treating every client with the utmost courteous and attentive treatment possible, with a keen sensitivity to the emotional bond between owners and their pets.
- Perform basic animal restraint and provide basic animal husbandry
- Possess a working knowledge of hygiene between patients
- Knowledge of basic record keeping procedures
- Trim nails and remove sutures and staples
- Aseptically handle fluid lines while walking dogs
- Recognize the need for help and contact the appropriate staff member
- Properly use the 24 hour treatment sheet and treatment board by observing, monitoring and documenting patients for safety, health and behavioral problems
- Administer Sub-Q fluids and oral medications
- Ensure proper stocking of medical supplies and janitorial needs
- Demonstrates an ability and awareness to keep hospital areas clean and neat, maintain a safe and clean work environment including but not limited to the cleanliness of laundry, floors and cages
- Required to maintain client and patient confidentiality
- Meet or exceed performance standards for work quality and productivity
- Meet or exceed IVG expectations for attendance and punctuality
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the above listed responsibilities satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Skills and Experience:-
- A strong desire to learn and apply knowledge/skills learned to daily work life.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and oral.
- Ability to demonstrate technical procedures as outlined in the IVG technician protocols.
- Demonstrate reliability and follow-through with all work related tasks / projects
- Self-Motivator: Ability to work efficiently and effectively, proactive with approach
- Communicator: Successful communication is essential with all clients and stakeholders, considers and responds appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of different people in different situations
- Technical Credibility: Understands and appropriately applies procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise. Understands linkages between department’s needs and the organization’s needs
High School education or equivalent
1 years’ experience of related job experience
Benefits of Working at Port City Veterinary Referral Hospital:-
Compensation is based on experience and skill level. Full-time benefits include health with an optional 100% employer paid plan, dental, vision, disability and life insurances, flex-spending accounts, 401(k), Employee Assistance Program, paid time off, uniforms, and a generous CE allowance.